IMPORTANT NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP DUES and COUNCIL SERVICE FEE UPDATE
We would like to inform you of important action taken by GSUSA's National Board of Directors which increases the annual Girl Scout membership dues to $15 beginning with the 2013-2014 membership year. Subsequent action was taken by Girl Scouts Heart of NJ (GSHNJ) Board of Directors to raise our Council Service Fee (CSF) to $15. The total fees for each girl member are now $30.
The CSF applies only to girl members. Adult members pay the $15 GSUSA membership dues only. Both the membership dues and the council service fee have been incorporated into the online registration system for the 2013-2014 membership year.
The annual membership dues of $15 are submitted directly to Girl Scouts of the USA. None of these dues stays within our council, which makes it difficult to facilitate the Girl Scout Leadership Experience at the local level. The $15 CSF supports the operation of our local Girl Scout council in the same way the $15 national membership dues support the operation of GSUSA.
The CSF, along with product sales, corporate and foundation support, individual donors, and gifts from families and friends to the Annual Family Campaign, gives us the combined resources needed to obtain the more than $257 per girl necessary for our council to deliver the premier leadership program for girls.
Girl Scouts provides unique leadership opportunities not available through any other organization and we continue to be more affordable than most alternative youth activities. Our council heavily subsidizes the cost of girl activities, events, adult leadership development, and council sponsored programs.
Here are some of the ways in which the CSF supports the operation of our local GS council:
- General operating expenses for all council properties, service centers, and camps including utilities, insurance, maintenance, and capital expenses
- Support of technology initiatives such as online registration, e-newsletters, websites, event calendars, and support of other technological advances
- Provides for the quality customer care and service necessary to manage a membership of over 25,000 girls and 11,000 adult members
- Provides background checks of volunteers and staff to ensure the safety of girls
- Protects girls and adults through the provision of liability insurance coverage for all Council approved events, activities, and non-Girl Scout facility use
- Subsidizes year-round turn-key outdoor experiences for girls; and
- Processes and places girls in various membership pathways
At the troop level, girls set goals and determine what money will be needed to achieve those goals. The cookie sales program, the nation’s largest financial literacy program, is an excellent way for girls to earn money to subsidize the costs associated with Girl Scout activities. Girls can also participate in the nut/candy sale and the collection of troop dues. Troop dues are determined by the girls, therefore, it is important that families partner with the troops’ leadership to choose the amount of dues that reflect what the troop can afford and what will be needed for the 12 month Girl Scout year.
GSHNJ is committed to ensuring all girls can participate in Girl Scouts, regardless of socioeconomic status and provides confidential, need-based financial assistance to individuals seeking Girl Scout membership.
Click here for additional information about the membership dues and Council Service Fee.
Susan M. Brooks, CEO Nancy P. Faulks, Board Chair