Council Service Fee
Girl Scouts is the premier leadership development program for girls in the country, providing unique leadership opportunities not available through any other organization.
Members pay annual membership dues ($12) which go directly to Girl Scouts of the USA. None of those annual membership dues stays locally within our Council making it difficult to facilitate the Girl Scout Leadership Experience at the local level. Each year, the cost to provide that experience is more than $257 per girl.
The $12 Council Service Fee (CSF) supports the operation of our local Girl Scout Council the same way the $12 national membership dues support the operation of GSUSA. Girl Scout volunteer delegates from across the country overwhelmingly approved the use of a Council Service Fee at the 52nd GSUSA National Council Session in November 2011. In addition, the GSHNJ approved the implementation of this fee. The delegates recognized the financial realities of operating a Girl Scout Council in today’s economy and felt strongly that adding the CSF was necessary given the substantial value of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.
Our Council heavily subsidizes the cost of girl activities, events, adult leadership development, and Council sponsored programs.
Here are some of the ways the CSF will support the operation of our
local GS Council:
- General operating expenses for all Council properties, service centers, and camps including utilities, insurance, maintenance, and capital expenses
- Support of technology initiatives such as online registration, e-newsletters, websites, event calendars, and support of other technological advances
- Provide the quality customer care and service necessary to manage a membership of over 25,000 girls and 11,000 volunteers
- Initiate background checks of volunteers and staff to ensure the safety of girls
- Protect girls and adults by providing liability insurance coverage for all Council approved events, activities, and non-Girl Scout facility use
- Subsidize year-round turn-key outdoor experiences for girls
- Processing and placement of girls in various membership pathways
The CSF, along with product sales, corporate and foundation support and gifts from families and friends to the Annual Fund Campaign, gives us the combined resources needed to get to the more than $257 necessary to deliver the premier leadership program for girls. Though the Girl Scouts attracts funding from a variety of sources, today’s economy demands the need for sustainable income. We are still much more affordable than alternate youth activities.
We owe it to our girls to give them the opportunity to be the leaders they want to be, to be the leaders the world needs them to be. The CSF provides a source of sustainable and renewable income that supports our local Girl Scout Council in a way that ensures the Girl Scout program will remain strong and viable in our local community.